Monday, August 18, 2014

How to Make Sausage Gravy

While I was pregnant, I craved sausage gravy and biscuits.  We now live in Pennsylvania and there is no where to get good biscuits and gravy. Luckily, my mom taught me to make them from scratch. The last time I made them I thought about my sister who makes gravy from a packet you buy at the grocery store. This is written for her!!
Also, this gravy with eggs and biscuits are a good quick supper!

 


First I start with a large skillet and sausage.



Then I brown the sausage on medium heat. I brown the entire package. I will only use two patties for the gravy.  I usually save the rest for another recipe, if I can keep the boys from eating it all. When it is brown I take out the sausage and leave the rendered fat.



















Then I add about 3 tablespoons of flour. Sprinkle it evenly around the pan as above. The flour should soak up the sausage fat. You want the flour to slightly brown, which takes about 3-4 minutes. I always get nervous at this point, that it will burn. But, don't add the milk too fast or your gravy tastes like paste.





Then add the milk, about 2-3 cups. I use skim milk, because it is what I have. You could use any kind of milk.



Then whisk to combine browned flour and milk. I don't like lumpy gravy, so I stir like crazy. When you get all the flour incorporated. Then remember to add salt. I frequently forget and that is not good. It does not taste as good if you forget the salt.




Continue to whisk as it heats and begins to bubble. Then crumble a few pieces of sausage back in the pan.





When the gravy has thickened it is ready to eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment