I was first driven to this recipe because the ingredients are all staples at my house. This is a great dish to keep the ingredients in the freezer and pantry. But, it turned out to be a great recipe for us. It originally called for salsa, but all the salsa was gone. I used seasoned tomatoes and it was a hit.
Adapted from http://mommyofamonster.com/2014/01/dinner-idea-ground-beef-casserole.html#_a5y_p=1208993
Ground Beef Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained
- 1 can of tomatoes with seasoning
- 1 cup cheese, shredded
- Heat the oven to 375.
- Cook the beef or turkey in a skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it's fully cooked through (about 10 minutes.) Drain any remaining fat.
- In a 8x8 baking dish, mix the meat, beans, and tomatoes together.
- Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes. Remove from oven and remove foil. Stir, and then top with the cheese. Bake uncovered for another 5 minutes to melt the cheese.