Sunday, December 21, 2014

How to Keep Up Your Milk Supply




Nursing my daughter had been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. But, it is also one of the most difficult as well. I work 3-4 days per week and need to pump enough for her to have on those days. We need about 20 ounces per day, but I don't usually make 20 ounces every day. That means I have to pump on my days off too, which sucks, literally. I have found some tricks to make more milk and help in general.


1. Snuggle, skin to skin contact can help produce more.  The first few weeks all I did was sit on the couch and snuggle!!!

2. Nurse or pump more.

3. Set a pumping schedule for work and stick with it!!!

4. Eat foods to increase milk supply. See below.

5. Stay hydrated. You need fluid going in to keep fluid coming out.

6. Eat a healthy balanced diet. The biggest dip in supply I have had was when I was eating bad.

7. Use a hospital grade pump. I have access to one at work and it makes a huge difference.

8. Manage stress. Easier said then done, but very important.


9. Dr. Browns preemie bottles. Princess would guzzle milk, then throw up half of it. Then she was hungry again.  Dr. Brown bottles made her slow down and keep it down. Dr. Browns bottles are also compatible with medulla pumps. But after a few washes, they leak if knocked over. Medelas bottles won't.


10. Paced feeding. Start with 2 ounces of milk, then put her down. Only feed more if she is truly hungry.  Even when older breast fed babies usually only eat 4 ounces.


11. An experienced babysitter. Experienced with breast milk.


12. Fresh milk is better. I only freeze milk if I am not working for 4 or more days.
13. Take a prenatal vitamin.









Foods to increase supply


1. Oatmeal (not the packet kind)
2. Almonds
3. Oatmeal cookies or lactation cookies (mix works)
4. Mothers Milk tea
5. Flaxseed
6. Luna bars (probably because they have oats)
7. Milky


You also might like this post, Simple Homemade Baby Food



No comments:

Post a Comment